I love my blogs and writing for them and being able to make an income is truly a gift I’m extremely thankful for. However, it often feels when you’re building up your audience – and even after you have a decent following – that you almost always must be near a computer to keep the conversation and traffic going on your social media networks, which is were a good chunk of your traffic likely comes from.
One of the ways to combat this is with schedulers for your social media networks. There are a number out there and one of my favorites is Hootsuite (there is a free version and you can also get a 30 day free trial to the premium version) as you can schedule for both Facebook and Twitter at the same time. However, one of the drawbacks is that there isn’t support for Google+ in the basic version yet nor can you schedule photos on Facebook. Some also say that their reach rate is even less unless they post manually (or without the assistance of a scheduling program).
Why are photos so important? If you’ve noticed the recent changes on Facebook lately – such as the new promote option and the listing of your reach – this may have gone down or be a lot smaller than you had originally thought it was. Did you know that you can actually increase your reach by the type of post you use on Facebook? It’s true! When I post a simple status update I may have a reach of 1-4%, which is quite sad in my opinion. However, whenever I post a photo as my post, usually with a link to a post on my blog in a following comment, my reach is usually at least 8%, all the way up to 15%. I’d say that’s quite the increase and a little more like it!
So, with all of the above information, I was super excited to see that Facebook now has their own built-in scheduling option, which doesn’t seem to impact reach negatively!
How to Use Facebook’s Post Scheduler:
1. Open up your Facebook Business Page as if you were posting a status update and click on the text box as if you were going to write your status update.
2. You’ll then want to choose your status update type. I recommend photos for the reasons stated above. You must do this before scheduling the time or you’ll have to do it all over again!
3. Upload any photos/video and write out your update, not yet clicking on Post.
4. Notice the clock icon in the lower left corner as highlighted in yellow below and click on it.
5. Next the scheduled time options will come up. All times should be in your local time zone, so set accordingly.
6. Click on schedule and then you’re done! If you happen to decide you want to post now instead of scheduling, just click on the year and select the dash. Note that while you can’t schedule a comment with a link to your post under the photo, you can include a link to your post in the photo description.
How to Change the Time, Delete or Publish a Post Now that You’ve Already Scheduled:
1. On your Facebook business page, go to the very top of the page and find the drop down menu named Edit Page.
2. Click on the Edit Page menu and select Use Activity Log as highlighted below:
3. Once on the Use Activity Log page, you’ll see a list of all posts on your page with scheduled posts at the top. To change the time or delete one of your scheduled posts, move your mouse over the post until you see a drop down arrow.
4. Click on the arrow and you’ll see options to change the time, post now or delete the post entirely.
Don’t forget to check out my other Blogging Tips and until next time I wish you much success with your blog!
Have a topic you’d like to know more about? Just leave me a comment below! 🙂